January 27, 2008

Inspire Me :)

Just getting a few things together


The Chinese New Year is fast approaching.

We had just gotten home from China last year when the New Year descended upon.

We celebrated it ....

We did so quietly.

Just the four of us .....

This year we are hoping to make it a bit more festive and will try and incorporate a few more of the Chinese traditions.

So, my question to all reading today is :

Are you planning to celebrate the Chinese New Year and if so, how ?

JP found this great page , it has lots of terrific information and suggestions on how to decorate, what to eat and it even let's you off the hook with housework ....

http://www.educ.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/438/CHINA/15-day_celebration.html

I love the idea of bringing in the New Year by opening every door and window of the house (to allow the old year to go out) and shooting off firecrackers at the stroke of midnight!

I just hope this - 27 C weather is history by then ! :)

I'm interested in what others are doing to celebrate.

Please feel free to leave a comment and inspire me with your creativity :)

Andrea

4 comments:

Margo, Bill, Liam, and Ella said...

Wow, I love your blog. Reminds me of my family. Son and daughter and so in love with each other.
What a beautiful family you have.

Les Boudreau said...

http://askasia.org/kids/features/chinesenewyear08.html

Andrea check out this site.

I give children red envelopes with money (can be chocolate money), and an orange.

We eat a Chinese meal with noodles of course.

We never did firecrackers but could be fun...not sure if I and the girls could stay up until midnight?!

We usually celebrate at home just our little family (du to Mandy Line's attachment issues), but if the girls wants a bigger celebration some day no problem.

This year I'll be going to Mandy Line's class to talk about China and will give the red envelopes, oranges and chopsticks to the children, I'll try making sushi with fruits...will be lots of fun!

Let me know if you find out more interesting stuff about Chinese NY.

Monique

PennyWolfe said...

Andrea,

Our festivities grow every year. We add a little something new. We exchange red envelopes, eat oranges, clean house and get hair cuts. :) This year we're having some people in and we've already started preparing the meal. We made dumplings last week to test how they hold up to freezing and cooking so we can figure out if we can make them ahead. Having 20+ people in my house doesn't lend itself to a sit down meal so we're doing more of a dim sum. My husband David and friend Todd will be in the kitchen cooking up various Asian treats! Last year, Dianne and her Mom made a great pig cake. Any idea on where I can get a Rat? LOL!!

We have lanterns throughout our house and I bought some decorations from China Sprout.

May your CNY be filled with many wonderful memories!!

4D said...

We are getting together with our adoption support group. Looks like you have all bases covered. Enjoy your celebration!

Keep smilin!